This is interesting.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Where are you planning to take it from a feature standpoint?

I've used SwirlChat on my site for several years now, but it's in major need of an update that I'm pretty sure is not coming any time soon.
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I'd love to put some time in on this too. At the very least be logging chat to the db & tracking users.

christoc - do you have a road map yet? Given your 30min - I doubt it!

I will definitely have some time this weekend to help out.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Right now here are my upcoming features, beyond this I don't have any future plans, but if it makes sense and keeps my interest I'll keep working on it :D
  1. Ability to see how many people are currently connected
  2. Ability to change names
  3. Parsing to link hyperlinks
  4. User and message logging (likely necessary for #1 and #2 from my testing so far)
  5. Emoticons
I hope to see 1-4 done in the next couple of days, had hoped for tonight but I have some day job work to catch up on.
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Just checked in

Ability to see how many people are currently connected
Ability to change names
User and message logging
Startup message
Feb 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Ok, I've been playing with it a bit and I think it's an amazing foundation for a chat module given that you've only been working on it a few days.

Here's my wish list... :)
  • The ability to specify multiple rooms.
  • The ability to secure the chat (or chat rooms) by role.
  • The ability to restrict changing of nicks
  • Integration with the social API (avatars, the ability to friend, etc)
  • The ability to send a private message via chat
  • Users In chat list
I'm sure I can think of more if you want!
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Rooms will be fairly easy to handle with the "groups" in SignalR, basically you can target to send messages to specific groups.

Security by role would take a bit more as that would also require that groups be stored in the DB

Restrict as in all or nothing?

Agreed on the social stuff

Targeting a direct user would be fairly easy I think

Users in chat list is something that will likely be one of the first things added
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I mean restrict the ability to change nick all together. For example, on my site I would prefer that the users display name always be used.
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Like the recent addition to click on an attendee & have their @ name appear but would love the attendee list to 'float' or be listed near where the submit field it so avoid scrolling up and down.

Also love the badge feature I have seen in similar chat modules whereby a small national flag (based on IP address I guess, is inserted between the submitter name and their comment.
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Some extra ideas for this module
  • Profanity Filter
  • /help or /? for command list
  • Word wrap username/nick for small mobile devices (left hand username list)
Thanks for the great work. Looking awesome